torsdag 13. april 2017

Is it safe? II

The second quilt in this series has a color scheme more intense than the previous one. It is mainly because the topic of information security becomes more and more important. 


Once again, I started out with the Thermofax. The objective was to create a printed piece of fabric as a starting point. After a few trials, I very quickly got the expression I wanted by using crimson and purples. Additional prints by using gold as an effect made the final touch. 


Then, the hunt started for matching fabrics. I had a rough idea of the overcall design, and knew I wanted larger fabric pieces as opposed to a very complicated patchwork design consisting of tiny pieces. My stash did not contain good supporting fabrics, so I needed to make my own. Using Procion MX dyes, I created two series of crimson reds, purples and blues. Some of them shown here.




I then started to play around with the full ensemble of fabrics.



It took a while until I had them all in place. Usually there is a lot of folding, cutting, moving fabrics around and so on, until I am satisfied. This is definately a fun, creative part for me. I wanted a mix of larger untouched areas and the smaller, more detailed, busy areas in this piece. Towards the end, I still needed one contrasting color in browns that I did not have in my handdyed stash. So I needed to dig around amongst my commercial fabrics. Found a perfect match with some wavy print which reminded me of elecro waves in computers. Perfect for this piece.

The top was finally as complete as could be. 


I knew I wanted a collage look, just as the first quilt in the series. I got good supporting threads from my favourite supplier of handdyed perl cotton (she does three kinds of threads, they are all great for handwork).


In addition to covering my quilts in hand stitching, I also twist my own cords that I decorate with. 


For this particular piece, I needed the numbers 0s and 1s in cutouts which I made from my Scan Cut machine. The fabric is easily cut out after it is backed with a coat of Vlisofix-similar paper.


After spending about 50 hours of stitching, the final piece looked like this.






Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar